Meta-fiction. I guess that was the word to describe this book. For me, it probably had to be one of the most confusing books I've had to deal with. I mentioned in class that I felt the author did a lot of "thinking out loud" and that seems to be the theme of this book. Gladman talks about various topics, mostly about her other book "After That". In this book, she likes to talk about her writing process, and how its changed, and what's going on in her life right now. She tries to make a time line of her work, and how it took her years to finish up some of her work. Also what seems relevant is that due to the time that it took her to finish some of her work, her writing style changes with the culture in which she lives and the form/style that she learned over the given time. I thought that this was particularly interesting considering if I was writing a book, how difficult it would be to finish it year by year and retain the same writing style.
That in mind, I can say that the book again was extremely confusing. It's almost as if you were able to make a documentary type film, and then make a documentary about it, this is what To After That would be. I didn't get a full chance to read every last page since Amazon gave me the wrong book. I recall this happening to somebody else from Barnes and Noble. Pretty upsetting, but nevertheless from what I did read I found this book interesting, in a confusing "what the hell is going on" type of way.
ok, say more and use some more specific examples from the book
ReplyDelete