Friday, October 15, 2010

Short Stories and Poems

I'm a little late on this post, I suppose that's a good way to start...

Anyway, the first thing that I would like to talk about are the poems that I wrote on any recent events. The two that I chose, probably the most obvious was concerning the miners in Chile. The poem is called Sixty-Eight since that's how long the miners had to wait before I believe the first miner was brought up. I thought it would be particularly simple to write about this event considering that being trapped anywhere for 60+ days would bring out a lot of thoughts or memories.

The second article that I wrote about had to do with a family that had their newborn taken away from them just after his birth. Yes, that's right, Social Services basically kidnapped a family's baby after it was born. The reason that was given is that the father was an Oath Keeper (protector of the Constitution) and police said he allegedly had a violent history. That's awfully funny, because I'm pretty sure Social Services don't take away children that are in poverty, or for any other reason I've ever heard. It's an awfully disappointing story but I thought it would also be good to write about considering how emotional the event really sounds.

The other thing I wanted to briefly talk about was the short stories. We mentioned only one in class and that was the Liquor Store story. I felt adequately about the story, but some of the other ones that caught my humor were the Misdemeanors and The List of Famous Hats. I didn't get a chance to read Every one of the short stories, but Mystery Stories was also interesting to discuss in class.

I think that's all I wanted to say about these topics. If I feel the need to add something I'll edit it sooner than later.

No comments:

Post a Comment