Okay, so I couldn't really think of an adequate title.
Anyhow, this part blog post will be a reading response to various work in "Writing Down the Bones". After reading some of the material, I have to say that doing some of the things recommended is awfully tough. The author (name slips my mind at the moment) makes a lot of suggestions about writing down as much as possible at almost all times. In one of her stories she talks about how she had all of these journals/diaries and notebooks stacked high, mostly with all of her writing filling the pages. She states that whatever is on your mind should be written down and that one should do writing practices just writing down everything imaginable.
I admit that she seems awfully enthusiastic about these ideas and this grand concept of writing down everything possible and doing practices and comparing writing to physical activities, but I've personally tried this and after about 10 minutes I usually find myself staring at a piece of paper just writing squiggles. Not necessarily words but in 10 whole minutes, I find it hard to write down every thought that enters the mind. I personally dislike some of the advice that the author gives because I typically try not to devote much of my life to writing poems or abstract thoughts.
Some of the other stuff that was presented in class was pretty neat though. Sharing various poems and reading them, pointing out what we like about them. I thought it was okay. At the end of my day I still see poetry as poetry just as politics are politics. Hopefully we will step into the creative writing aspect of the class, since I'd much rather explain how a tree can cut a saw in half, rather than seeing how abstract speaking can spin its way around the classroom.
No comments:
Post a Comment