Thursday, November 11, 2010

Essay Packet (1)

The first essay packet has over 20 pages filled with various essays written by various authors. The two that I chose and will be talking about is "Sunday" by Henry Gates Jr, and "Farder to Reache" by Albert Goldbarth. These two essays along with a couple others are particularly short compared to others, but nevertheless I like them and will be commenting on them.

The second essay speaks about the universe and poetry in everlasting infinite fashion. Many scientists/astronomers played with the idea of the universe being infinite rather than stars binding them at the ends. The author states:  Perhaps infinity isn't discovered along a timeline of gathering progress, but by certain sensibility, no matter when it lives. I liked this part because it really puts a concept of infinity existing for an infinite amount of time, regardless of progress. He then talks about the two astronomers/scientists and himself hanging out drinking some beer on a late night, and it turning into quite a good time, as the sun rises. The last part of this essay really sets the tone per-say because it gives an imaginable relaxing outlook on day/night, infinity and kinship toward one another. I enjoyed reading both of these essays.

edit: I removed my middle paragraph mainly because I spoke about the food rather than the "underlying issue". Yes, I know this essay was about civil rights, but No, I am not concerned about it's point. The most that I got out of the first essay was that it made me think about all the memories I had with family and friends when I was younger, and how much I enjoyed family get-togethers and reunions. Hopefully this edit doesn't get misinterpreted. :)

1 comment: